Those regular excuses for not volunteering ‘I’m too busy’ ‘I don’t have time’ … they are all myths!
You always have time to do something, no matter how small and with our free day tomorrow, we really have no excuse. An extra day in the calendar, that we don’t usually have, 24 more hours of TIME that thing you can’t just make … all for you!
So what are you going to do with your extra time?
Silly question! VOLUNTEER of course.
Well if working I am sure you are seeing this as an extra day of work that you probably aren’t getting paid for but you still have the evening free, so why not spend it searching and applying for some interesting volunteering opportunities. Here are a few websites to start you off…
- Do It – The national database for volunteering opportunities around the UK. Search for loads of
- Brightworks – loads of simple task based volunteering opportunities, many that can be done from your computer at home. Sign up to complete a task and support a charity.
- Guardian and local newspapers – loads of volunteering opportunities are promoted daily. Also check out the Guardian Voluntary Sector Network for news, advice and info direct from the voluntary sector.
- CSV – Community Service Volunteers offers training, volunteering opportunities and loads more to help you get into volunteering.
- Thames 21 – they have a whole host of one off events cleaning up London’s waterways that you can get stuck into straight away. In fact their are three events on the 29th!
What will I be doing with my extra day this leap year? Well after a day’s work I will be heading home for a Skype catch up with Joyce in California who set up the Bali Children’s Project in Bali who I volunteered with at the end of last year. I am continuing to help them from afar and hope to soon be telling you guys more about how you could head to Bali to volunteer with this brill charity.
lots of Leap year love and smiles x