Tenerife I hear you cry? Tenerife Carnival? Why yes. Tenerife has a Carnival, an amazing carnival that is… wait for it…
The second biggest carnival after Rio! Whaaaat?!
I know I was just as shocked as you when I found out. I thought Tenerife was all beach bods and family holidays, but in fact come February Tenerife is all bright colours, flamboyant dancing and fun fun fun!
A couple of weeks ago I got to experience a taster of what Santa de Cruz Tenerife’s Carnival has to offer with a ridiculously fun event hosted by Thomas Cook Airlines. We made cocktails, we learnt to dance the samba (a little bit), we covered our faces in glitter and bright make-up, we made our own carnival masks and we learnt everything we needed to know about why we should be adding Tenerife Carnival to our bucket lists.
So with everything I learnt here are my 22 reasons why I am now desperate to visit Tenerife during Carnival season.
1. For the bright colours
3. and dressing up in fabulous outfits
4. and trying to dance the samba
5. and failing to dance the samba but having a brilliant time in the process
6. For the mojitos
7. and the caipirinhas
8 To make my own headdress
9. and wear it through the streets
10. To party like it’s Carnival…
11. because it IS Carnival!
12. To fly with Thomas Cook
13. and meet the lovely staff like Nicola
14. To enjoy some winter sun
15. To party like its 1999 … or 2016 which will be just as cool!
16. To whack the pinata like your life depends on it
17. and then celebrate with more mojitos when you knock it down
18. and eat all the sweets that are scattered across the floor
19. To eat tasty Spanish food
20. and wash it down with more mojitos
21. To remind myself of the amazing fun I had at Thomas Cook’s event in London
22. and most importantly to have the best holiday ever celebrating Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife!
So have I persuaded you? Well I have certainly persuaded myself. If I get to go with Thomas Cook next year I will be sure to report on at least 22 more reasons why you should visit! I dare say I won’t be disappointed.
Thanks Thomas Cook for a brilliant evening… fingers crossed the fun doesn’t stop here!