Ahh, England. So many cool cities with unique things to experience and explore. We might not have the best weather, but there really are endless ways to entertain yourself on this tiny little island!
There are so many great posts out there that feature the best things to do in a city on a weekend break. There are lots of great itinerary suggestions too. But, I’ve decided to do something a little different, and am starting a series of “50 fun things to do in…” posts.
The series will celebrate the amazing variety of things that can be done in any single destination. My aim is to get you excited about a place and the endless possibilities of fun, cool, hip, tasty, adventurous, interesting and cultural things you can do there!
I want to inspire your travel creativity for destinations across Europe and the whole world. I want to give you endless ideas for your travel planning and inspiration and I’ll be collaborating with my fellow bloggers’ in the lists, to give you a little more insight into my suggestions.
My first post is all about Manchester… Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!
A little bit about Manchester…
Manchester, they say, has got it all. A bustling, Northern powerhouse of a city that’s vibrant and lively come rain or shine. It’s surrounded by the lush, green Cheshire plains to the south and the Pennines to the north and east. It’s got an abundance of bustling ‘burbs, is only a two-hour train to London and is where the first computer was created. It was also the world’s first industrialised city; making the ‘worker bee’ it’s iconic symbol still, to this day.
Head to Manchester and you will find friendly faces, football fans and lots of incredible food. Not to mention it’s arts and culture scene, unrivalled music scene and great museums too. And if all that wasn’t enough then the country walks, pubs and stunning towns and villages just a stone’s throw away are great too, if you want to get out of the concrete jungle.
So here goes, the top 50 fun things to do in Manchester…
Do something different!
- Go on a girls’ weekend exploring Manchester and what it has to offer!
- Learn to snowboard at Chill Factore: Indoor Snowboard and Ski Slopes!
- Have kitty cuddles in the Cat Cafe
- Take your dog to a great, dog-friendly city centre pub (thanks, Phat Cupcake)
- Do some belly laughing at an award-winning comedy club!
- Go to a festival, Parklife is headlined by Liam Gallagher this year
- Have a go at Junkyard golf!
- Dance on the tables at Manchester’s Bavarian Bier Palace: Albert’s Schloss
- Play old-school video games at Hold Fast bar in the NQ
Get your geek on in Manchester’s Museums and Libraries
- Get lost in a good book in one of Manchester’s iconic libraries (The Portico is stunning!)
- Geek up in the MOSI
- Visit the National Museum of Football
- Learn about the city’s history in the Manchester Museum
- Visit the People’s History Museum and learn all about the worker bee
- Take a tour of the BBC’s new northern home at Salford Quays
- Discover 10 Unique Items in Manchester’s Museums (thanks, Jollies and Jaunts)
- Head to Manchester’s radical feminist festival; Wonder Women 2018
- Catch the Robots exhibition at the Museum of Science and Industry
Discover and explore the city, and its outskirts
- Discover the city’s street art
- Head out to the countryside for a scenic, pub walk
- Head to a stunning, popular market in the suburbs; Altrincham’s Market House
- Explore the city’s stunning architecture (Thanks, As the Sparrow Flies)
- Go for a ramble in Ramsbottom
- Discover all the city’s different neighbourhoods (thanks, Fountain of Travel)
- Shop until you drop (Arndale, Trafford Centre, Harvey Nics, Kendal’s and Selfridges
- Go and see the stunning city centre Town Hall
Be transported to another country in these cultural spots
- Eat authentic Indian curries and soul food on the Curry Mile (Rusholme)
- Try something new in Chinatown
- Pretend you’re in a local Thai cafe at Siam Smiles cafe
- Dance the night away fueled by rum cocktails and great music at Revs De Cuba
- Visit the German markets in winter
- Venture out of town to Chorlton for some authentic Spanish tapas at Juan’s
- Be exported to a calm and peaceful Japanese tea house in Chaology (no shoes allowed)
- Dine ‘alfresco’ indoors at Lunya and eat and drink just as they do in the Catalan region of Spain
Explore Manchester’s amazing food and drink scene
- Try some excellent bread and other baked goods at Pollen Bakery
- Enjoy coffee, cakes and some of the best pizza in Manchester in an 1858 Grade II listed market building… Mackie Mayor
- Dine in style underground at AUSTRALASIA
- Explore the local markets like Levy market in Levenshulme
- Eat amazing Neopolitan pizza at Rudy’s (it’s just like you’re in Italy!)
- BRUNCH in a Northern Quarter cafe
- Head to Richmond Tea Rooms for quirky yet traditional afternoon tea
- Treat yourself to a gourmet grilled cheese toastie at Northern Soul
Immerse yourself in Manchester’s arts, music and film
- Explore Manchester Art Gallery
- Go to a gig at the best gig spots in town (Gorilla and Manchester Academy)
- Discover live music at an open mic night (The Whiskey Jar)
- Go to a big concert at the M.E.N.
- Get ready for your big night out with a totally glamorous blow-dry (thanks, While I’m Young)
- Discover Manchester’s music scene history at MOJOs bar
- Watch a film at independent cinema and art gallery, HOME
- Explore The Whitworth art gallery, even if it is just for its stunning renovation!
Enjoyed this post? Then Pin In for later!