Luckily I’m one of those people who can sleep just about anywhere, on a rickety smelly cramped bus through India, a cold airport floor in Norway or long haul plane journeys… give me some music and a cushion (real or made with hoodies, jackets etc) and I am out like a light quick sticks! However for those of you that may not have the head down, brain off abilities I have, here are my top tips for sleeping on planes;
1) Make use of the free flight booze.. Couple of glasses of red vino and you’ll sleep or you won’t care that your not sleeping and continue to get sozzled.
2) Eat! Gain a full belly and snoozing comes easy!
3) Those eye pads are great at keeping out the shining lights of people reading next to you.. And if you’re lucky it might have a nose bit too to keep out smelly fellow passengers – I’ve certainly had my fair share!!
3a) For smelly passengers I recommend taking a small (regulation size) bottle of perfume to regularly spray on your pillow/scarf/hands or some tee tree oil to rub under your nose, works a treat.
4) Headphones or ear plugs are a must! I’m not a baby person at the best of times but when there are several in close proximity, screaming their heads off, they somewhat work in keeping the sound out. If you can sleep with music then headphones are infinitely better.
5) Take an extra pillow… this goes FAR beyond sleeping on planes, to sleeping just about anywhere when travelling. I ‘stole’ the pillow from my flight at the beginning of my travels and had it with me for 2 months before the dirt and grime was too much to bare and my travel companion bought me a new mini pillow. I can’t tell you the amount of times, on flights, train journeys, bus journeys and taxi rides, my trusty mini pillow has helped me sleep through.
6) Take a nightol or similar sleeping type tablet (can then ignore all previous tips)
7) Wake up every once in a while for a stretch around the plane to keep that blood circulation going!
And failing all of this… book into Business Class … with those long stretch leather seats, flowing Champagne and delicious food… you probably won’t even want to sleep.
Thank you to my travel buddy Swatee for taking all these horrible photos of me… hope they make you chuckle 🙂